Saturday, April 29, 2017

Week 16

First, how have reading and books changed since you were a child, for you specifically?

Books for me have not changed hugely but still have changed. I believe that the stigma of being a nerd because you read, choosing reading material without shame and more types of writing styles are available.
I remember being young and my peers relating reading to being a nerd. It was not cool or the thing to do. I enjoyed reading and it took me away from the everyday drama. I had a teacher that read “The Boxcar Children”. This story and the way she read hooked me onto reading. I wanted to find more stories that made me want to keep reading to find out the ending. A stigma was also attached to what type of books you read so sometimes I found myself hiding what I read.
Reading books that were scary, paranormal or murder made some people make remarks about me possibly being in a cult or not Christian like. I did not share book recommendations or what I was currently reading with anyone unless they read similar books. I found out that my books taste also rolled over into my movie choices. As the years have passed I have found that more genres have expanded my reading choices.
Paranormal, urban fiction and young adult that reads like adult fiction have expanded my reading choices. I do not remember these being genres available as I was growing up. I enjoy the fact that I can read a young adult book and it not be too simple and directed toward juvenile readers. They also focus on things that I can relate too when I went through my high school years. Several of the young adult books have been rolled over to film. This brings my choices of reading into my movie styles.


 Second, talk a little about what you see in the future for reading, books, or publishing - say 20 years from now. 

Where do I see the future for reading, books or publishing years from now? I see reading being more for pleasure, books still in print but more in eBook format, and publishing fighting with libraries over eBooks.
With the ease of access to books in eBook, online, and downloadable formats, people will be able to read wherever they are. Because of this reading will be more of a pleasure for people. They will not have go into a book store or library to find what they are looking for. It will be immediate satisfaction.
 Books written just in eBook format will grow in the next 20 years. The reason for this is the ability to get published is easier, cost of production is less and the publishers have control of lending facilities such as libraries. As it stands now, some publishers have made it difficult for libraries to lend eBooks with limitations. These limitations include how many times it can be borrowed and the cost is the same as print material.

The battle between publishers and libraries will continue to grow. The dollar is mighty for the profit world and limited in the library world. Libraries have tried to keep up with the needs and wants of patrons while dealing with budget restrictions. These restrictions are also the reason for less materials being purchased. In order to use tax dollars wisely libraries need to purchase wisely. Publishers can make this difficult. 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Rachel! It's interesting that you mentioned how your reading habits effected your movie-watching habits. I find this goes both ways with me and the patrons I assist at my library. If they enjoy a certain genre of books, they are more likely to enjoy movies and TV series in those genres and vice versa. The movies and series based on books is a great way for people to see how interesting and involved books can be, especially for people who don't read often.

    I agree with you about the growing accessibility of books, especially eBooks on mobile devices that can be taken practically anywhere. I'm hopeful that as publishers move more into offering a wider and more full range of eBooks, their attitudes towards libraries and allowing eBooks in libraries will change for the better. Great job on your prompt response, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a patron tells me that they don't know what they like to read because they usually don't, I ask them to think about movies they like. It is a good way to see what there preferences are. They can cross over into the reading choices.

      Delete
  2. Rachel,

    I like your mention about the stigma behind reading and being a nerd. I felt this when I really got into reading in middle school, and I realized how much more enriched I had become after reading so much. I still love to read and I see a lot of people around me starting to read more, as well.

    I agree, that books are becoming easily accessed through the eBook format. But I still don't think that print books will be out of style. Ebooks will be on the rise, though! Good prompt response!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned to embrace the nerd in me. I was glad that I got to a place that allowed me to worry less about what people think.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful final response! Full points!

    ReplyDelete